|Cardinal Francis George of Chicago, at a press conference at the NAC on Feb. 27, 2013. |
Credit: Paolo Tiranti/CNA
Thursday, January 08, 2015
The following excerpts are from Catholic News Agency (CNA):
Chicago, Ill., Jan 6, 2015 / 11:03 am (CNA/EWTN News).- Cardinal Francis George has asked for continued prayers after being dropped from a cancer drug’s clinical trial, which was determined to be ineffective for him.
“He is at peace, but he counts on everyone’s prayers that he might be of service to the Lord and His Church in the time left to him,” the Archdiocese of Chicago said Dec. 31.
“Cardinal George would like to thank all those who have been praying for him, and asks them to continue to do so. You and those you love are remembered in his prayers as well.”
The 77-year-old cardinal and archbishop emeritus of Chicago had been taking part in a clinical trial conducted by University of Chicago Medicine, while also being cared for by Loyola University Hospital.
The drug, from the pharmaceutical company Genentech, is designed with the intention of helping the human body’s immune system recognize and attack cancerous cells, the Chicago Sun-Times reports. Tests indicated that the drug has not been effective for the cardinal.
The archdiocese said the physicians and others overseeing the treatment of the cardinal have assured him that the information gathered in the clinical trial will help benefit others.
Cardinal George will meet with his doctors to discuss how to address his cancer’s side effects. His cancer at present has not spread to any vital organs.
Read more by clicking below:Cardinal George dropped from cancer drug trial, asks for prayers :: Catholic News Agency (CNA)