Please Note


Whenever you use the links on my blog's to make purchases, such as from Mystic Monk Coffee, CCleaner, and others, I earn a small commission. This commission does not have any effect on your costs.

Thursday, November 22, 2012

Don't Forget People During The Holidays




We all get busy during the Holidays.

We shop, prepare meals, send cards, ship presents, write letters, and in general do all of the things that keeps us busy this time of year.

Let's not get so busy though, that we forget about our friends, family, and neighbors who have no one... or no place... to spend the holidays. Many people, whether they may be single, widowed, elderly, or young, employed or unemployed, end up spending each and every holiday... all alone.

This time of year, I always think of one little lady who was a customer at a store where I worked over 20 years ago. She was well up in years...a widow... and she and her late husband had not had any children.

We were open on Christmas Day, and she came in to make a purchase. When I said "Merry Christmas" to her, she literally burst into tears. She told me how she always dreaded this time of year, since she had no family, and she spent each holiday alone. She said that Christmas was the hardest for her.

I never saw her after the following spring of that year, so I don't know what became of her.

Her situation always comes to my mind at this time of year though, especially since I am a never married single man, and have seen several holidays "alone", myself.

The bottom line is, I am not writing this about me. I am writing this to encourage those of you who can, to make just a little extra effort to keep people in mind, who literally have no one else.

Your little act of kindness and thoughtfulness could mean the difference between a Merry Christmas or just another day.